The elasticLM solution is beneficial for all parties involved:
For the ISV
- Providing more flexibility to the trusted customer while increasing the level of security.
- Easy to deploy in Grid, Cloud and SOA environments.
- ISVs may extend their customer base by supporting new business models, thus generating additional economical benefit.
For the end-user
- Flexibility for the user embedding the licensing mechanism into his workflows.
- Select the most appropriate resources depending on actual requirements and have the necessary licenses available.
- Licenses can be reserved for later use, and coordinated with the availability of computational resources.
- Allows application execution completely decoupled from the site that hosts the license server.
- Allows re-negotiation at run-time, e.g. giving up a license before the reservation period is over, trying to extend a reservation period, or adding new features. Thus, the license usage may be adapted to the real need. This allows reducing the cost either by not paying for times where the license is unused, or by avoiding an application crashing because the license was no longer valid.
For the home organisation of the end-use or the computing centre
- Better control of the license portfolio in an institution or company. Always up-to-date information on all purchased licenses, e.g. used and free licenses.
- Thus, less unused or barely used licenses, no duplicate licenses in different departments.
- Fine grained steering of license usage for all groups and individual users.
- Licenses can be used to run applications on the most appropriate or idle resources.
For the ASP
- Better control of the license portfolio in an institution or company. Always up-to-date information on all purchased licenses, e.g. used and free licenses. Thus, less unused or barely used licenses.
- ASP can provide the customer with access to applications without buying additional licenses.
- Customers’ licences may be combined with the ones owned by the ASP for running complex jobs with different applications. This allows making better usage of the ASPs’ computational resources while reducing the overhead of maintaining additional licenses for customers.